Saturday, September 6, 2014

nexus 5 update: 4 months later

     OK so it's now September and I've had my nexus 5 for roughly 4 months now. its also been roughly 2 or 3 months since my initial review, so I figured I'd write a small update. I'm what most would consider a very heavy user. I play a good amount of games on my phone. I stream music every day in the car and at home. I text and instant message all day every day. I watch a bit of YouTube on it.....you get the idea. so after 4 months of heavy usage I can say its still as fast as ever.
     I'm still running ART instead of delvik and don't run into many issues on my day to day usage. I have found several games which are incompatible such as plants vs zombies (which bums me out). but I'd say at this point it seems that 95% of whats out there is ART ready. Google keyboard was crashing on me a lot too but after the last couple updates it rarely gives me an issue anymore.
     at the time that I wrote the initial impression the phone was on android 4.4.2. I'm now up to android 4.4.4. the last 2 updates have definitely brought some improvements with them. first of all the camera app is now a separate app and is updated through the play store. the user controls in the camera app are much much more user friendly in my opinion and although I'm not a big camera geek I'd generally say the overall performance of the camera is improved. the photos it takes are now noticeably nicer then those taken by my galaxy s3 were as when i first got the phone they were pretty equal to my eye. also another major improvement has been battery life. I've read varying reports on this but for me personally I did see a noticeable improvement, especially under mild to moderate usage.
     after extended usage I have noticed the speaker is definitely on the weaker side. I like the placement of the speaker compared to my s3 but its not as load or robust sounding. but this is not a deal breaker for me as I rarely listen to then phone with out Bluetooth or headphones. another side note is if stopped using the wireless charging as it took forever to charge and I've switched to just using the wall charger then came with the wireless charging pad (same as wall charger sold in play store for nexus 5) its a higher amp (1.8a) fast charger. and it will completely recharge my nexus 5 from almost dead to full in around 1.5 hours. its very fast and i find this to be more convenient as the phone spends less time charging this way.
     I'm still very satisfied with the phone and unless the new nexus phone is a massive upgrade then I don't see my self switching away from the nexus 5 anytime soon. I'm also looking forward to the coming android L update which is hopefully only a few months away. thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment